VIG provides assistance with leadership development, facilitating teams/groups, strategic planning, board/council-manager relationships, diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, and other training for state and local government elected officials, staff, and organizations. Contact us to learn more about our consulting services.
OVERVIEW OF OUR SERVICES
The Virginia Institute of Government and our external partners have extensive experience working with local government organizations to build capacity and develop leaders. We offer a range of consultation services, including:
- facilitating board/council and leadership team retreats
- developing and implementing strategic plans
- conducting diversity, equity, and inclusion forums and training
We also offer a wide range of professional development and training activities for elected officials and employees at all levels of your organization.
Highlights of Recent Consultation Work
- Facilitated a strategic planning retreat with City Council
City of Charlottesville | April 2022
- Facilitated sessions with county administrator and leadership team to initiate diversity, equity, and inclusion discussion into the organization
Stafford County | 2021-current
- Provided customer service/communication styles training for superintendent and a 40-person leadership team
Prince William County Schools | April 2022
FEATURED consultation project
Strategic Planning Assistance for Richmond City Council
The Virginia Institute of Government (VIG) facilitated a two-day retreat for Richmond City Council to assist them in their strategic planning process and in identifying priorities. The VIG facilitation team interviewed individual council members; conducted an analysis of the organization’s strengths, weaknesses and opportunities; compiled input from the two-day retreat; and then developed recommendations on how the council could most effectively implement their key priorities and efficiently move legislation through their committees.
As a result of the partnership between VIG and the Richmond City Council, the council now has a clear road map and processes in place to achieve the important work of the council and more effectively serve their constituency.
Richmond City Council
“We made significant progress; we are going to be a stronger organization as a result of this retreat."
Richmond City Council
“This is the best retreat I have been to. My colleagues came together and I think this is going to help us come together even more.”
Director VIG, Weldon Cooper Center
“We helped Richmond City Council navigate through a process that will help them communicate and work more effectively.”
- Facilitated City Council retreat to discuss budget and strategic planning goals | City of Richmond | Feb/March 2021
- Facilitated Board of Supervisors Strategic Planning Retreat with Board of Supervisors and County Administrator | Patrick County | July 2021
- Facilitated Economic Development Workshop with Community Stakeholders | Town of Colonial Beach | July 2021
- Facilitated multiple sessions with city manager and leadership team to initiate diversity, equity, and inclusion discussions into the organization | City of Newport News | 2021-2022
- Facilitated a strategic planning retreat for board of supervisors and county administration Bath County | March 2022
- Provided customer service/communications styles training for superintendent and 40-person leadership team | Prince William County Schools | April 2022
- Facilitated sessions with county administrator and leadership team to initiate diversity, equity, and inclusion discussions into the organization | Stafford County | 2021 - ongoing
- Facilitated a strategic planning retreat with City Council | City of Charlottesville | April 2022
- Facilitated a strategic planning retreat for board of supervisors and county administration | Accomack County | May 2022