VIG provides assistance with leadership development, facilitating teams/groups, strategic planning, board/council-manager relationships, diversity, equity, and inclusion initiatives, and other training for state and local government elected officials, staff, and organizations. Contact us to learn more about our consulting services.
Suzette Denslow has worked for Virginia's state and local governments for over 40 years. She most recently served as the Clerk of the Virginia House of Delegates. Suzette was the first woman to be elected by the legislature to serve in this role and the vote for her appointment was unanimous.
Jane Dittmar is a co-founder of Positive Solutions Group and a business consultant specializing in meeting facilitation, board governance and strategic planning. She owned and worked with many businesses in the Commonwealth, particularly when she served as President of the Charlottesville Regional Chamber of Commerce.
Following an extensive career in public legal service for both local government and the Commonwealth of Virginia as Chief Deputy Attorney General, Cynthia Hudson now performs legal and government affairs services in support of Virginia local governments and other clients as owner and managing attorney of Eppes-Hudson Law, PLLC.
OVERVIEW OF OUR SERVICES
The Virginia Institute of Government and our external partners have extensive experience working with local government organizations to build capacity and develop leaders. We offer a range of consultation services, including:
- facilitating board/council and leadership team retreats
- developing and implementing strategic plans
- conducting diversity, equity, and inclusion forums and training
We also offer a wide range of professional development and training activities for elected officials and employees at all levels of your organization.
Highlights of Recent Consultation Work
- Facilitated a strategic planning retreat with City Council
City of Charlottesville | April 2022
- Facilitated multiple sessions with city manager and leadership team to initiate diversity, equity, and inclusion discussions into the organization
City of Newport News | 2021-2022
- Provided customer service/communication styles training for superintendent and a 40-person leadership team
Prince William County Schools | April 2022
FEATURED consultation project
Strategic Planning Assistance for Richmond City Council
The Virginia Institute of Government (VIG) facilitated a two-day retreat for Richmond City Council to assist them in their strategic planning process and in identifying priorities. The VIG facilitation team interviewed individual council members; conducted an analysis of the organization’s strengths, weaknesses and opportunities; compiled input from the two-day retreat; and then developed recommendations on how the council could most effectively implement their key priorities and efficiently move legislation through their committees.
As a result of the partnership between VIG and the Richmond City Council, the council now has a clear road map and processes in place to achieve the important work of the council and more effectively serve their constituency.
Richmond City Council
“We made significant progress; we are going to be a stronger organization as a result of this retreat."
Richmond City Council
“This is the best retreat I have been to. My colleagues came together and I think this is going to help us come together even more.”
Director VIG, Weldon Cooper Center
“We helped Richmond City Council navigate through a process that will help them communicate and work more effectively.”
- STRATEGIC PLANNING FACILITATIONS
- Accomack County: for board of supervisors and county administration | May 2022
- Bath County: for board of supervisors and county administration | March 2022
- Charlottesville City: with city council | April 2022
- Fluvanna County: with board of supervisors and county administration team | August 2022
- Colonial Beach Town: for town council and interim town manager | September 2022
- Patrick County: with board of supervisors and county administrator | July 2021 and September 2022
- Pennington Gap Town: for town council and interim town manager | October 2022
- Pittsylvania County: for interim county administrator and executive team | October 2022 (part I)
- Richmond City: with city council | Feb/March 2021
- Warrenton Town: for town council and interim town manager | September 2022
- ECONOMIC DEVELOPMENT WORKSHOPS
- Colonial Beach Town: with community stakeholders | July 2021 and August 2022
- SESSIONS TO INITIATE DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION INTO ORGANIZATIONS
- Newport News City: multiple sessions with city manager and leadership team | 2021-2022
- Stafford County: multiple sessions with county administrator and leadership team | 2021-2022
- EVALUATIONS & CUSTOMIZED TRAINING
- Manassas City: Facilitated city manager's evaluation for the city council | November 2022
- Prince William County Schools: Provided customer service/communications styles training for superintendent and 40-person leadership team | April 2022