The Virginia Institute of Government (VIG), the leadership development and community engagement arm of the Weldon Cooper Center for Public Service, was established in 1994, by the Virginia General Assembly, to provide training, technical assistance, and information resources to its member local governments. Due to the changing needs of Virginia communities over the last quarter century, the Institute has expanded beyond its original mission. The goal of VIG is to become the central navigator for local governments to assist in building governance capacity and developing dynamic leaders at all levels by curating a portfolio of services, partnerships, and best practices that provide value to our members.
- Leadership Development: Senior Executive Institute and LEAD programs provide professional development to local government leaders from across the country.
- Certification: Our staff provide support to the continuing education programs for the Treasurers Association of Virginia, the Commissioners of the Revenue Association of Virginia, and the Virginia Government Finance Officers Association.
- Virginia Locality Support and Engagement Services: VIG provides consultation services, ASKVIG inquiry service, custom training and general interest courses.
- Our partnership with the Virginia Local Government Management Association (VLGMA) is based on a shared commitment to support local government leaders.
- Our partnership with GoVirginia Region 3 is focused on advancing economic development in Southern Virginia.
- We are partnering with Virginia Women Leading Government to help move the needle on the number of women executives in government offices in Virginia.